Wednesday, January 20, 2010

People flee into streets as aftershock hits Haiti

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti - The most powerful aftershock yet struck Haiti on Wednesday, shaking more rubble from damaged buildings and sending screaming people running into the streets eight days after the country's capital was devastated by an apocalyptic quake.




Later lowered to 5.9 after initially being reported as magnitude 6.1, the temblor was the largest of more than 40 significant aftershocks that have followed the Jan. 12 quake.



The new quake collapsed seven buildings in Petit-Goave, the seaside town closest to the epicenter, according to Mike Morton of the U.N. Disaster Assessment and Coordination agency. But there were no reports of people crushed or trapped, perhaps because the earlier quake frightened most people into sleeping outside.



Wails of terror rose from frightened survivors as the earth shuddered at 6:03 a.m. U.S. soldiers and tent city refugees alike raced for open ground, and clouds of dust rose in the capital.



The U.S. Geological Survey said Wednesday's quake was centered about 35 miles northwest of Port-au-Prince and 6.2 miles below the surface — a little further from the capital than last week's epicenter was.



"It kind of felt like standing on a board on top of a ball," said U.S. Army Staff Sgt. Steven Payne. The 27-year-old from Jolo, West Virginia was preparing to hand out food to refugees in a tent camp of 25,000 quake victims when the aftershock hit.



Last week's magnitude-7 quake killed an estimated 200,000 people in Haiti, left 250,000 injured and made 1.5 million homeless, according to the European Union Commission



So, let’s talk, I have strong mixed feeling about this situation. First I want everyone to get evolved with the Haiti relief because that is my people.. African that was brought over to Haiti, Peru, Dominic Republic, Cuba, and Barbados that was slaves from the southern tip of Africa… So I say “Hell ya “Help my people…But on the other hand what about the relief here in the united states in Springfield, Ohio the Bronx New York Richmond California Mesa AZ etc…. so come-on we have black people here dying on the streets not by earthquakes but by man made thing such as poverty, domestic violence, drugs, police brutality ect….So what should I do???? worry about someone that I don’t know or something that will not effect me and my family or walk in prophet Muhammad and Jesus shoes and help all God’s children or help that brother on my block????

3 comments:

  1. That is really a hard question to answer. Yes, they are very poor. Yes, they need our help. On the other hand when do we get to start helping our own? In December I volunteered for a homeless function in Phoenix. I know there are a lot of homeless. When I got to the function I could not believe my eyes. There were so many. I just really hadn't expected that. When do the people who voted for our Government Reps become the priority? I say the brother on the block. Maybe by helping people locally we can make the US a better place and then help the other countries. Just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jc your opinion is very valid, we as americans need to relize that we cant fix everone's problems. But what we can do is fix our problems or at lease curve the problem...But its big business if he fix the problem here alot of job will be lost....so what do we do????

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, he isn't getting the problem fixed and a lot of job s are still being lost. So, would it really make that much of a difference to try? In the last month we hired 2 new people in our little shop. It felt so good to be able to do this. But, with the economy being what it is. i could only hire them part time. That is the part that sucks. I want our employees to make good money and not be living paycheck to paycheck. They say the recession is nearing its end. I as a business owner don't see the light at the end of the tunnel.
    As for Haiti their tunnel seems to be a lot longer than mine. I just don't know!

    ReplyDelete